Saturday 11 August 2012

What to do with Spiced Plums?


I love delicately spiced, stewed plums. I used to stew my plums with just a touch of sugar, but then I discover James Martin’s delicious Spicy Plum Crumble recipe. So plums at my place tend to get the VIP treatment. 

Of course I don’t always have the ingredients I need so I improvise and that’s what happened this week when I bought too many plums and needed to do something with them quickly. Nothing worse than rotting plums ...

I had about 8 small plums which I sliced in half and threw into a saucepan with 2 pieces of star anise, a few drops of vanilla essence, some grated nutmeg, a tablespoon of sugar and about 75 mls or so of water. I then just cooked this until the plums softened, cooled it down and put it in the fridge. 

As I said, I just needed to cook the plums so they didn’t go off but I had no idea what I was going to do with them.

Came Saturday and I decided to make some drop scones. You might call them flap jacks, or pikelets. These were always a treat when I was growing up. There one of my nostalgia foods. My recipe is based on the one in the CWA Cook Book. We called them drop scones and so do they. 

Beat 1 egg with 125 mls of milk (I use skim milk). Add 120 g SR flour (I can’t find that in Prague so I use 10 g baking powder and 110 g plain flour), and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together. The CWA recipe includes 2 Tbsp sugar, but I leave this out because often I like my drop scones with Vegemite (I am an Aussie after all). Drop spoonfuls of the batter into a medium hot fry pan. When the first side is cooked, flip them and cook the other side. I use a non-stick pan. Sometimes it's hard to judge when they're done. One indicator that the first side is done is when you see air bubbles breaking on top of your drop scones. Make sure the heat isn't too fierce because the bottom will be cooked before the inside.

Half way through cooking the drop scones I remembered the spicy plums.  Out of the fridge, remove the star anise and plum stones, and attack with stick blender – result! Delicious, fragrant, spicy plum spread for drop scones. 

Perfect for afternoon tea.

Let me know if you try it …

No comments:

Post a Comment